Friday, June 3, 2011

Finally! La Musée du Louvre


Today started off at the Opéra national de Paris, undoubtedly one of my favorite sites I have seen thus far. I can only imagine how magnificent the shows and talent that have called this place home must be.
 

Another site of importance was the Place de la Concorde, the location where Marie Antoinette was executed. The area is filled with things to see. The plaza (more so a median surrounded by busy streets) is the site of the Obelisk and the Fontaine de la Concorde. Further up is the River Seine. This location presents one of the best views of Paris I have seen up to this point.
 
 

Possibly the most anticipated part of the trip was a visit to the crown jewel of Paris, the Louvre. It has always been said that one could spend days visiting the Louvre yet I refused to acknowledge this truth until my visit today. The museum is much more than the infamous exhibits it houses. The building itself is an exhibit with portions of the original 12th century fortress still on display.  Notable pieces/works we saw at the museum today included Hammurabi’s Code, Venus de Milo, Mona Lisa, Wedding at Cana, the Sphinx, and Nike of Samothrace. I can guarantee I will return to Paris for, if nothing else, this museum.












No comments:

Post a Comment